Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday, Why am I not happy about this!

So just a quick Rabies update...

The state nurse did alot of clarification for me this morning..

1. Shailyn at this point does not need to undergo Rabies shots. The puppy is in quarentine where it will stay for the next 10 days and like I said yesterday if it lives we are golden...if not Shay is screwed! 5 shot in 28 days UGH!!!

2. Why my well taken care of dog is locked up for 45 days and not 10?

~~How Rabies is spread is through the Saliva (duh), when my dog exposed himself to the bat and if the bat even bite my dog (there was no way to tell)and if the bat had rabies it takes approxamately 45 days - 6 months past exposure to present itself in the saliva. Therefore my dog has to be locked up for the 45 days. How she explained it was if the bat did in fact bite my dog it doesnt automatically give my dog rabies. The rabies virus has to leave the entry site (bite sight) and work its way through the nerves~~~~~to the brain~~~~~~~and THEN to the saliva. Until that happens the dog CANNOT pass the virus in a bite because the virus is not present in the saliva..Makes since right??

~~This is why the new dog was quarentined for only 10 days..when it grazed (literally Shay showed no visible signs of a bite when she got home) Shays arm and "broke the surface of her skin" if Shay was going to contract the Rabies virus herself the dog would have had to been infact carrying the FULL BLOWN Rabies virus (hence the 10 days) and from what I witnessed yesterday she was just a hyper little puppy who wanted to play so I am not concerned.



On a different note...

Todays is Friday and a BIG day for the locals...its TIKI BAR OPENING! 30,000 people flock to our tiny little island to over induldge in 10 dollar drinks they had to wait in line 2 hours for. The cops are in full effect! This is our local area Mardi Gra complete with boobie flashing for beads and MASSIVE amounts of public drunkeness.. and oh yeah...I will be there Sober laughing at the crazied idiots who are puking all over themselves...I am helping a friend serve food (I think) or just keeping her company. I have to rise and shine super early to partake in a public awarness for early literacy for young and under priviledge children and I am actually excited about this..Then home to prepare for the Washington Capitols Playoff game that night with the hubby! Who doesnt love a "Date Night"...

ANXIETY IS SLIGHTLY SETTING IN.....

For this date night....we are hiring a teenager to watch the kids and I am not sure how I feel about it! I know she is responsible and LOVES LOVES LOVES kids...but still nervous...this should be interesting....Will update on Monday,,,Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment